Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Further Thoughts on Gor, etc.

First, I am sorry, Hotspur you have felt the bloom has come off the Rose in Caledon; I know at least part of why you feel this way H; I saw just some of the posts (you yourself never spoke to me about it ) and well, if it were me, I would have handled things with a lot less decorum. Sorry if that pisses anyone off, but there it is.

As for spellfire, it uses an ejected damage prim. You MUST hit CTRL N to see the prim (CRTL ALT T works but is confusing as hell). Then, somehow, those who know sf well know how to dodge the ejected prim. What my good friend Jot Zenovka (a master who kicks my ass every time) can do is somehow use what she calls "Evasion" or some such thing....she can dodge the prim with some very subtle movements. In short, none of my Gorean training helps me much; I can be swinging right at her and missing while she is nailing me. I don't like SF, but after sparring with her yesterday, I have more respect for those who use it and am considering taking it up more deeply myself. I still give Imrath Tir a thumbs up; great group of people, good rp, very tolerant place.

Things in Fina are going fine, so far (grins at the pun). The Men have been cool to me, everyone has, really, even though I have no idea how to do even the most basic of things that rp sims do. Tland was all about the Arena....when rp enters the mix, it gets very, very complicated. I have never used a chain and collar, or bound a captive, etc. The list goes on for a long ways. Also, I have not been captured, and that day may prove tricky because of my rp limits. The captives I have been given charge of guarding I have treated well...and in my usual chaste manner, which I think has disappointed one or two (okay, maybe Tele overflatters self).

I did see an execution the other day...the girl was a panther, a fighter, a captive, and was doing everything she could to get her captor to kill her, frankly, including head butt his groin. She didn't want to hang around as a captive any longer (and I understand her sentiment). But there are all these bizarre rules....killing someone must take at least five lines of text, for one. That way you can't just say: "you're dead!" So you have to drama it up. And the Warrior did: something about severing both carotids and the windpipe...a quick death, a merciful death actually (he could have crucified or impaled her or some such thing) but just seeing that in writing really chilled me. I don't know how I would have handled it. I know it's avatar role play, but anyway, point made.

Otherwise, the guys are amazing fighters. I was considered tough in Torvic, one of the very best, I'm a medium fish in Fina. And to answer Hotspur's question, I think you could come spar in the Arena H...you could certainly wear an observer tag and explore. I could introduce you as my friend, if you wished. Fina is large, complex, hierarchical, and deep, deep in rp. Very unlike the old Tland. I am just the new guy whom everyone says has such nice manners! Hah! I do have to say, Tland had a much better Arena system....the same one in the Cay. But they do have a free sword in Fina and I think they welcome visitors who are respectful of their customs. But of course they are paranoid; we have to be! Scouts, spies, assassins....they come daily. Daily. The City is raided often by people who do very awful things to their captives, sometimes.

Anyway, that's it for now. I hope to do a bit more fantasy rp as Jot teaches me the way SF works...I think I can do a bit of both worlds. I still love my home in Caledon (my third world); it is amazing, really, but have no idea what to do with it and am still not sure if the pirate thing will get off the ground (of course, I could hold a tourney in the Loch anyway....and people would come...why haven't I thought of that). Perhaps when the weather cools I will want to stroll as a gentleman again and flirt with the Ladies.

Well, must go. This is speedblog. Thanks to all for reading. My love to each. And I still miss many I used to see more in Caledon: Vid, Dia, H, Eva, Sera...a longer list. Be well. Safe paths. Odin be near. All that.

Tele

4 comments:

Eva Bellambi said...

And we miss you, oh knight. But I am glad that you are finding some enjoyment in battle(s) rp once again.
Will hope to see you soon.

Eva

p.s. some Roses of Caledon still bloom. :-p

Hotspur O'Toole said...

well, if it were me, I would have handled things with a lot less decorum.

Oh, aye, the temptation was there-- I am not known for a gentle temperament any more than you are, my friend. But what would it serve, in the end? Just more grief, and drawing people into things who don't wish to spend their precious free time dealing with a lot of horsesh.. er, droppings. For all of that nonsense, I do have very good friends inworld, yourself among 'em (when you're here) thus life inworld has come down to 1) maximize the good times with people you like; 2) Minimize exposure to those you don't trust. Works perfectly-- although I have to admit the sense of community is pretty much gone.

Where to go, then? That's always the problem, isn't it? I like my little house, the little fleet (now sadly defunct), being part of the Lancers. It's hard to give that stuff up.. always possible of course, but it really would have to be something new and interesting, and COMPLETELY different from what I'm doing now..

I have played around with SPELLFIRE in Antiquity Christalina (SP?). They are ALSO a very nice group of people, entirely non-Gorean, very respectful of me when I went for a visit. I have hopes that this might play out in the long run, although I will have to become adept at Spellfire to make any headway in the Arena over there.

So there's hope.. like you, I just can't play certain elements of Gorean roleplay-- They are as repugnant to me as they are to you (torture and murder of ANYone, regardless of sex, is not something I would care to roleplay). So it's hard to pick and choose. Sigh.

Anyway, we'll both sort it out, my friend. It's silly how time-consuming this stuff gets, isn't it?

H.

Eladrienne Laval said...

You and I have spoken of this before Tele, and I agree with Hotspur about this--it gets to a point inworld that you become focused on those you wish to see the most and doing what you want to do the most.

Like him, I also don't spend much time in Caledon anymore and also think that its sense of community has dissolved in a way. Things do change, but sometimes perhaps they can change too much...

As for you, I can see how some of your current RP aspects would bother you. Certain things just aren't your "way". I miss sparring with you. Perhaps we will again soon. *smiles*

Baron K. Wulfenbach said...

Sir Tele,

Reflecting on the comments here, perhaps part of what has changed in Caledon is that those who drew people in have drifted off somewhat, depriving more recent residents of both example and inspiration. It is not a matter of blame, these things do happen everywhere, but a possible explanation.

K. Wulfenbach